Saturday, December 5, 2009

Everything is gonna be alright, baby………..

This is a conversation between a Dad and his child:
The train was about to leave the Chennai station. 5 year old Shyam was quietly playing with his Penguin toy that I bought him at the station. I made him sit on my lap and started playing with him. He looked up suddenly and said, ‘Daddy, when will we see Mommy?’.
‘Mommy will be at the Bangalore station, child. You are going to see her as soon as we reach bangalore’, his dad assured him. He gave a faint smile and got himself engaged in playing with his Penguin again.
‘Daddy, when will I see you again?’, he asked again looking up. My heart sank at the question. How was I going to explain to him that he was not going to see his parents together ever? His dad explained ‘You will come to see me during the summer, sweetu’ and his dad tried to look away, trying to escape the questions in his eyes . He held his dad’s hand tight and asked, ‘Why?. Why will you not be with me and Mommy in Bangalore?’.
‘Because Daddy and Mommy are not going to live together, child. But you as soon as the summer arrives, you will come to Daddy and we will spend time together. Daddy will take you to the park and you can play on the slides and swings. Daddy will bring you ice cream and chocolates. But first you must be a good boy and spend time with your Mommy.’, his dad said with a heavy heart, trying hard to keep his gaze into the uncertain eyes of the child.
‘Will Mommy come with me to see you then?’‘No child, Mommy will not see Daddy. You will come alone. Daddy and Mommy will not meet each other.’‘But why Daddy? Why?’
And a tear rolled down his left cheek. It has always been like this with him. It is always the left eye which gives way to his tears first. And he started sobbing then. Pressing his head against my chest and curling his little arms around me. I did not know how to comfort him . I did not have logical answers to his ‘Whys’. I did not know what went wrong. All I know is Shyam did not deserve this.
I held him tight. Trying to calm him sobbing. The deep humming of the train engine went on in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment